Monday, August 20, 2012

"Pack Pack"


Today is Nolan's first day of preschool.  As I mentioned in a previous post, we went last week for orientation and he seemed to really enjoy himself and we felt good about our decision to start him in preschool this year.  This morning I got him dressed and he put on his "pack pack" as he calls it and we were off.  Lucas and I took him.  Kevin had been talking to him about needing to listen to his teachers so on the way to school he was telling me "we listen to the teachers mommy".  He went running up to the door when we arrived and wanted to show me around the classroom.  I helped him find his cubby to hang-up his backpack and we put up his family picture next to the other family pictures (the teacher told us that some of the kids put their family pictures next to their cots at nap time).  He got to make his name tag and couldn't wait to play.  

Seeing Nolan's excitement and talking with the teachers makes me feel happy and I confident that we made the right decision about which school to send him to and to start him this year.  Nolan's birthday is right after the cutoff for starting kindergarten which means he will be one of the older kids in his class.  We could have waited another year to begin preschool but I felt that he could really benefit from being in a more structured environment where he will also be provided with more educational activities and have increased interactions with children his own age.  Nolan has enjoyed his time at Angie's and we are grateful for the things he has learned there and the friendships he made but this transition feels right.  I'm sure there will be days when he will rather go to Angie's, especially after Lucas starts going there when I start work, but today he was excited about school and that makes me happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment